In-N-Out creates cult-like engagement while Chipotle doesn't miss a tweet, according to new report from social media benchmarking platform Unmetric
In this report, Unmetric takes an in-depth look at which fast food franchises are doing the best job with social media. (note: click on the infographic for a larger image)
It's more than "how many followers?" or "how many friends?" -- but specifically what campaigns are working, with whom, and how effectively -- measuring which quick serve restaurants are winning and which are losing when it comes to engaging their followers.
With the largest worldwide revenue for any fast food chain, McDonald's takes the trophy. And with the "battle of the burgers" defining American fast food, it's no surprise that the McDonald's vs. BK rivalry rules social media -- but Unmetric dives deeper.
QSR Social Media Metrics
- Since January, Burger King has seen over 100% fan growth on Facebook, while McDonald's has seen over 100% follower growth on Twitter.
- McDonald's replies to follower tweets faster than any other chain--in only 29 minutes. Burger King takes over two days to reply.
- Although In-N-Out has very little social media presence overall and rarely interacts with fans and followers on Facebook or Twitter, its few posts have seen cult-like engagement from fans, resulting in the highest overall engagement.
- Moving from burgers to burritos, Chipotle uses Twitter as a conversational tool to connect with followers, replying to 100% of its followers' 15,002 tweets.
- Overall, 61% of fast food fans on Facebook are female.
Engagement Can be a Metric to Quantify Social Media
I use "engagement, the industry uses it but it is sort of a fuzzy concept sort of like Social Media Return on Investment (ROI). For smaller food brands, you can't hire the big guns in market research but you can learn from them. Unmetric measures engagement by looking at Likes, Comments, Shares and Impressions and surely they are using proprietary analytics to come up with their Engagement Index.
However you can monitor Likes, Comments, Shares and Impressions on your own Facebook page. In fact I want to pose this to Unmetrics in a future interview and maybe they can help us with a small food business "how to measure engagement".
In the mean time check out the Unmetric QSR Infographic here and start thinking about how you are engaging your customers to get your product off the shelf and on to the consumer plate.
Unmetric Inc. is headquartered in Chicago and works with clients across the world. The Unmetric platform was established to give Fortune 500 companies and other large global brands key performance data around which they could benchmark their social media efforts and answer the question "Are we doing well?".